I worked in a warehouse for four and a half years. Pretty much my adult life up to this point. That life had become my normal and I didn't realize how different life could be. There are some things I've noticed since ending that warehouse streak. Mainly small things that I never thought I would notice but it's changed my daily activities.
One: I'm more open to meeting new people. Not that I was ever not open to it, but I've noticed I'm more confident talking to random people. A retail job will do that to you.
Two: Getting up before the sun was stupid. I knew it then but now I realize how much I really did hate it. No one should be up that early. I also had to go to bed super early which made any social life quite difficult. I like my late nights and sleeping in schedule much better.
Three: I don't eat as much. I was always hungry at work because I was always on my feet. Granted I do a lot more sitting now but my grocery bill has decreased.
Four: I'm in need of new clothes. A lot of my clothes would eventually end up as work clothes that I didn't wear outside of work. Now I can actually have nice clothes without fear of ripping a hole in them if I wear them to work.
Five: I don't care what pen I use. When you have a job that requires a lot of writing, you get picky about your pens. I hunted a few people down at my last job if they walked away with my pen. I also put my name on some. Yep, I was that person. But now I don't need a pen that often so as long as it writes, it's good enough.
Six: I get to ask my boyfriend how his day at work was. I didn't have to ask that before because I already knew. I saw him multiple times day throughout the work day so at the end of the night there wasn't much to say about it. Now I actually get to ask and tell him how my day was.
Seven: My hands are softer and my nails aren't ugly. My nails always had to be short and they usually looked pretty sad. For the last month and a half, I've had my nails done and it's a nice change. Weird how it makes you feel more feminine. Also, I get to wear my jewelry more often and I love it.
Eight: My bad swearing habit has greatly decreased. I always knew it wasn't attractive for girls, well anyone, to swear on a regular basis, but it would just come out. A warehouse job with a bunch of boys will do that to you. Most of the time I didn't even realize I had said anything, it was just normal. I had to make more of an effort to not swear. It's nice that it's not much of a problem anymore.
I feel like if I go to ten it will be too many. I'm sure I could think of a few more things but I'm sure half of you stopped reading at four and said "I don't care, Michelle." So I'll end at eight for those of you still reading.
I'm surprised how much a job really does effect a person. I felt like that job started to turn me into someone I wasn't supposed to be and I feel more like myself now. That job was turning me into a bitter person that didn't really care about things anymore. I'm not that person. I'm glad that I'm starting to realize that there is more to me than I thought. I'm capable of more than I gave myself credit for. I'm poor now but I'm happier than I've been for a couple years. I'm grateful I finally had the guts to leave that job and discover some of the small things in life that make me happy.
3 comments:
You'll get picky about pens again as soon as you have a class where you have to take notes. I love my fine RSVPs.
Getting up before the sun literally makes me feel nauseous.
I helped an 80 year old woman try on black "scuba" pants last week. Retail jobs make you more confident helping with that too. lol
What are scuba pants Alison? Haha.
Yes, it's crazy how much our jobs affect our life. I used to think my butt was getting flat sitting all day at my last office job. And now at the salon I come home with hair in my bra and shoes...haha.
Happy to hear you are more happy! And it's cool to have a convo with you at night-time now!
Yay! I'm glad you're finding the cute Michelle that you've always been!
Post a Comment